Follow Me On Other Social Media!

5.27.2013

Sitting 7,522 feet up.

I've been slacking. Not in everything, but as far as my blog goes, I have been slacking.

We'll start with this:

One week ago I arrived in Colorado. I was feeling pretty overwhelmed honestly. I knew that this was where God wanted me for the summer, but something inside of me was not all that happy to be here. I hate goodbyes. I really don't like the feeling of closing a chapter, especially when I don't feel like I am done writing. That's how I felt. I felt frustrated and sad because I didn't think I was ready for something new yet. I just left everything I have ever known like 9 months ago to start over. So I prayed.

I prayed that my bitter heart would have some sort of transformation and that I would find some sort of purpose here in Estes Park. I should never doubt God's plan. Of course He was right. Throughout the next few days I started finding excitement in all kinds of things. I went on my first hike, I started job training, I started meeting some really cool people from Ohio, Illinois, Texas (I've never heard so many people say "y'all" in my life), Georgia, etc., LT started, and so on.


So thankful for this girl.
My project group for the summer.

I do miss my friends. I miss my family. I miss Missouri honestly. But God has great plans for me and LT this summer. Colorado is awesome, my job is really awesome. I mean, I'm working in the biggest Craft & Design Center most people have ever seen. That's pretty cool if you ask me. Through my bitterness, I think I am already learning what it means to rely on God, even when I feel kind of alone. I need that.

I am so blessed to be able to wake up and walk outside to see mountains everywhere I look, every day. I think a person can find God anywhere if they want to. He is everywhere. But, I have no doubt that God is with me here in Estes right now. And I have no doubt that He is with you, too.


For those of you who aren't in Colorado with me this summer, I want to let you know when/how to contact me. Because I really do miss you. Mondays and Tuesdays are my days off work. Tuesdays are my project days though, so Mondays are the best time for me to talk to people. Also, any other day after about 7 (8pm Central Time) is a good time too as long as I know ahead of time. I enjoy telephone calls, skype, mail, etc. Speaking of mail... My mailing address is:

Anna Swift
P.O. Box 20700
Estes Park, CO 80511

And if you're feeling extra generous, my shipping address (like for packages and stuff) is:

Anna Swift
2515 Tunnel Road
Estes Park, CO 80511

(Hint, hint)

What's your address?

One more thing I want to share:

I read something in Blue Like Jazz the other day that really stuck with me. If you haven't read this book, you should! I have started it three times now and am determined to finish it, because it really is awesome. I'm just terrible at finishing books. Anyways, the author, Donald Miller, was talking about a conversation he had with a girl who said to him:

"As a human, I am flawed in that it is difficult for me to consider others before myself. It feels like I have to fight against this force, this current within me that more often than not, wants to avoid serious issues and please myself, feed myself, entertain myself, and all of that. All I'm saying is that if we, as a species, could fix our self-absorption, we could end a lot of pain in the world."

I needed to hear this. I struggle with self-absorption. I think a lot of us do. As I am learning to be a leader in the church though, or even just as I mature in general, I think it is so important that I really take a look at where I am investing so much of my time. Right now you're thinking, "Okay Anna, you're the one who just wrote an entire blog post about all of YOUR problems." And you're right, I did. Which is another point I am starting to understand. I believe you do have to invest some time in yourself. If you are not right with yourself, right with God, then I think you are incapable of effectively investing in other people. But I think Laura, (Donald Miller's friend) was right. How many problems in the world could be fixed if we would just make a conscious effort to do more things for other people? All I ask is that you think about it. Think about it here if you want. And again, think about reading this book!


Love you guys, talk to you soon.

Anna